Monday, June 16, 2008

idhtbptbb

My favorite blog that I've mentioned many times is The Nesting Place http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/ and I've forgotten how to hide that! Naturally! I'm not a technofile...but I'm diagressing! The whole point of today's post is "idhtbptbb" which translates into "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful"... well that pretty much sums up my life...








See my version of "This Old House" ala redneck style? We're not rednecks you know! but you can't tell that from the outside of our house... One thing we learned fast when we started renovating is nothing will ever be perfect in a house over 100 years old! So... that's the underlying theme of our entire life "imperfection" and I gratefully accept it! Oh by the way that hideous satellite dish was a left over from our renters and we've since ripped it off the front of our house I've just not updated my pictures in a long time... Yup, no where close to being perfect!
And I just tried to upload another picture but it keeps loading the top of my post! I have no idea how to stick it in the middle like right here.... lol So just one picture... but that's one more picture than I've been able to manage so far so that's progress right? lol
I let too many out of whack expectations of perfection ruin a good many days, projects, friendships, etc and I've missed out on even more wonderful things because I feared what someone else would think. No more! I'm through with that foolishness, it robs the joy from your heart and if you don't have some joy in your heart then what's the point? Everyone around you will suffer for it. Life is too short and too precious to squander on a senseless, unattainable goal of perfection. I learned this lesson years ago and every so often it doesn't hurt to remind myself of it. So here's my perfectly imperfect home...the siding is buckling, the front porch sags, the neighborhood is redneck and the grass ain't grass at all but more like weeds but it's our home and it's close to being paid off. Which makes it beautiful in our eyes.





19 comments:

Marianne said...

Well with a 100 year old house, who is worried about perfection. Old age comes with dignity and no longer a need for something as frivolous as a desire for perfection. Enjoy your home and your blog.

The Nester said...

Your writing gave me chills!!!

Thanks Hobby Lobby Jean! I LOVE your home and think it has charm beyond measure and look how big your yard is! When we buy our next house, we might be looking for something just like what you have! It is so sweet and has room to grow if needed!

I grew up in a house that reminds me of that! Love it and thank you for sharing!

Bravo for loading a photo!

They do all load at the top but then, you can copy it in your tool bar, and paste it where you want in your post. Or, be like me--load all of your photos first, then write!

Thanks for sharing!

Your fan, the nester

Unknown said...

I love your house. It has history... how many people can say that about theirs? I love a house with good bones. Trust me, your will still be standing. I hope to see what great things and "your history" you put into it. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Im working on mine. I have plenty mess to share. Susie H

Christi said...

Oh, I long for a house with history, unique-ness (is that a word?) and charm - and less of the cookie cutter look.

And being almost paid off? That's the best part of all!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Almost paid off?! Hey, in my world that is pretty darn close to being perfect!!

~ Sarah

Darla said...

I adore your porch. You are way too hard on your imperfection.

Finding Normal said...

I love that old house!
I click on the picture until it has little squares on it, then drag it down to wherever I want it. I always get annoyed too, thinking it should insert wherever I have the cursor!

Blogger said...

If you go to the HTML part of the blogging tab....you can take the html code of the pic and put it anywhere you want...of course, you have to know a little bit about HTMLing to do this...I don't know much, but I can get by ;)

I love your little piece of heaven there! I would love to see the inside! I love old homes :)

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

I agree that you have to learn to love your house.

To post more than you picture. you can right mouse click on it and choose "copy" or "cut" and then go to where you want to paste it and right mouse click "paste". good luck.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Hey, I know what you mean! I've written a lot about this very topic, it is so important to realize what really matters in life!

Great post...

Melissa

Jane said...

When that mortgage is paid off, the house will instantly triple in beauty! It looks like a hill there, I would love to roll down the hill!

Kitty Scraps said...

Wowser, I can't believe all the lovely comments! Thanks ladies! Now that I have some tips and tricks I'll have to try again with posting pictures of the inside and my many projects... LOL

Bonita said...

I think your house is great. It reminds me of the houses my aunts and uncles have lived in for years. Does that make us rednecks? LOL! You have much potential in that pretty house with the gigantic yard!

Kimba said...

Thanks for stopping by and for the sweet comments! I think your home is lovely! The front porch is fantastic...sags and all! And my husband would kill for your yard!

Good for your for deciding that things don't have to be perfect. There's not point in being paralyzed by perfection. Nothing ever gets done that way.

Did you figure out how to move your pictures? They always load at the top but you can click and drag to move them wherever you want. Just click on the picture and hold down the mouse button and go over to the scroll button inside the post you're writing. Then you can move down and drop them wherever you want.

Or you can just right click on the picture, choose cut then click your cursor wherever you want the pic, right click again and choose paste.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love the "location" you give in your profile. I'm right there with you! I named my first cat Mr. Darcy. I'm a bit obsessed with anything Jane Austen. -Julia :-)

Katy said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog!!! I think your house looks adorable! You should take some pics of the inside!!!! :)
It is wonderful to "meet" you and I Hope you are having a GREAT week! :)

emily freeman said...

"the grass ain't grass at all" HA! Love that. And you are officially my favorite person today because you asked if I'm a professional photographer. Which I am not. But thank you for the compliment!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

The beauty of a 100 year-old home is that no one expects it to be perfect. In fact, the most beautiful parts are the marks of (graceful) age!

Thanks for sharing!

Wasn't the carnival fun?! The Nester sure knows how to host a party!

Michelle said...

LOL Sometimes I think our neighbors call us the white trash family with all the toys scattered about at any given time and then when we are all home our drive looks like a used car lot (at least none are on blocks!).

I think your house is just lovely as it is!