Thursday, May 21, 2009

Old Sheldon Church Ruins

I've longed to visit this sacred ground for years, since 2003 in fact when I first learned of this place. Back then I only had a vague description of it's location but the longing stuck with me. Two years ago while visiting with friends in the Charleston area I thought I'd finally have my much anticipated visit. I did some google searching and discovered it was about an hour or so away from where we were staying. But it wasn't meant to be at that time...
We spent last week on vacation discovering Hilton Head Island. I was determined to finally see this church and on the way down we stopped by this magnificent place. It was all I imagined and more. I could just feel the history as we walked around. It's a lovely, beautiful place tucked away down a very shady narrow two lane country road.



4 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

What a beautiful old church. Your photos are so pretty.
Carrie

Darlene said...

I LOVE all the pictures of the old church. Even in the state it is in you can tell it was a beauty and has a lot of history...just imagine if it could talk! I LOVE all the columns and how fun to roam all around it.

Daphine said...

Oh WOW! Beautiful pictures! I would so love to visit there too!

Thanks so much for sharing!

I hope that you're enjoying your holiday weekend!

Heathahlee said...

I LOVE learning the history of places...the older the better! As I walk through a place, I imagine what it was like to be there when it was occupied with the people of the time. Thanks for the pictures!