I sewed right over the tab tops!
I've had these Kmart special Martha Stewart panels for awhile, they were my bedroom curtains when we were in corporate housing and I had the rusty red bedding and taupe walls. When we moved back into our home I decided they suited the living room more. But after reading all the do's and don'ts about window treatments, well I realized that they were far to short. I didn't have enough fabric in my stash to raise the rods up higher but with the addition they now bend onto the floor. I had so little of the fabric that I had to scrounge around and use some muslin scraps for the rod casing but all in all I think it's a definite improvement.